Thursday, October 4, 2012

family vacation part 2... the bull ride

We returned to Selma from the beach on Sunday just in time for me to catch a 24-hour bug of fever and nausea, but gladly it passed just in time for us to venture to my favorite event each fall... the Central Alabama Fair! Every year dating back to when I was a young girl, in early October my family would venture to Selma's Central Alabama Fair that the Lions club puts on. This year I learned that my grandfather was actually a part of bringing the fair to Selma back in the day as he was on the Lions club executive board. I thought that was really neat to learn that such a wonderful childhood memory was made possible by him!
There's just nothing like riding fair rides until you get sick (or feel sick), eating caramel apples and funnel cakes, playing with different animals, watching beauty pageants and exclusive only to the Central Alabama Fair.... COZY DAWGS!!!!


What's a cozy dawg? you might ask. Well, it's just a more refined corn dog, made with Selma's zeigler red hotdogs and pancake batter and they are WAY better than just your average corn dog!

 After our cozy dawgs we went to the petting zoo....

 This same picture my mom took last year and conveniently the duck pooped on Mallory and Evelyn as they were taking it.....



 We even fed baby calves milk!

Harrison wrangled a baby pig....

After feeding and holding the animals, Harrison was dying to go over to the new attraction of bull riding. He rushed over and asked a lady jokingly how many tickets it costs to ride. She then responded that it was free and I immediately saw the glimmer in his eye. After some time commenting on wanting to ride, he committed and off to ride he went. He traded shoes with a guy and geared up and before we knew it he was being announced and the gate was opening. 3 seconds later, the thrill was over and he could now say he'd ridden a bull!

And here's a video for you all to see....




 Then it was time to ride all the rides.... Due to my sickness I only rode down the slide with Evelyn and then took her to all the kid rides but it was just as much fun to her as I remember it being to me as a kid.

 This roller coaster was my FAVORITE as a kid and it's still around! 


Of course we had to stop and pay $5 for our 20 ping pong balls to try and win Evelyn some fish!
 Which we did win! I made two and Ron made one.... however we only got to get 2 fish :(
We finished the ride and got a funnel cake and a caramel apple before heading home
Such a fun night at the Central Alabama fair!

No comments: