Friday, September 7, 2012

Now We're Cookin' With Gas!



Back in the winter when we registered for our wedding gifts (online because we were out of the country), I picked out a grill on the Target website. I didn't pick out many things for myself other than a handful of tool kits and a few power tools and then the one big item: our grill.

Assembly was required so because of our busy first few weeks of marriage, it sat in the box waiting to be both put together and put to use. Everyday I walked by that box I looked forward to grilling out some burgers, yet at the same time worried about the process of putting it together. I knew there would be tons of small screws and specific instructions that if you messed up a small thing or lost an important washer or nut, could lead to lots of headaches.

Finally last weekend I had some time and began to assemble it. It took about 2 hours total and as I approached the end following every instruction to a "T" I ran into a snag. It came as I was mounting the big bowl/grill to the stand. For some reason the holes just wouldn't line up to put a screw through connecting the the left and right sides of the the grill to the stand. I mean it wasn't even close. Sometimes you can line up at least one or two holes but all four might not. In this case, the way it was set on there, not even one set of holes would line up for some reason. I figured I'd figure the problem out later but in the mean time I'd go ahead and finish the last remaining screws and set it up to impress my new wife.

After consulting with my dad, I realized what the problem was:  I had the two "legs" on each side of the base on the wrong side (so they were facing the wrong way) preventing the holes from lining up on the sides. So me and my beautiful, motivated wife disassembled the grill nearly completely and put it back together correctly in about 20 minutes. Now it is fully functional and we have used it multiple times in the past week. I finally feel like the man of the house now that I have a grill.

No comments: