Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Our first full year in Asia: Lauren's 24 hours in America saga

In early May, one of our teammates went to the capital city for some visa processing and to see a doctor about some back pain she had been experiencing for several months but that had all of a sudden gotten much worse after a fall. The doctor tried some therapy for a week and then said that she was still getting worse and needed to go back to America for surgery. So, I, Lauren, flew up to meet her and switch out with another teammate on her last day of therapy, a Monday.

From Monday to Thursday, our days consisted of lots of waiting and a few errands I needed to run. Waiting and waiting for insurance to approve her flight home and get her on a plane. All of this while her pain was getting worse and worse each day. My nights consisted of lots of phone calls while America was awake and trying to figure out why the flight wasn't being approved faster. Finally, on Thursday our company had had enough waiting and booked the two of us on a flight for Friday afternoon.

Our flight from the capital city to America wasn't very eventful. Had your typical fun people watching sights that I always enjoy like this one….

This lady had an inflatable neck pillow that also doubled as a blood pressure machine or at least looked like it
But, when we arrived in America, little did I know the rude awakening of culture shock that I was in for and all the stress it would take to get back across the world to home.

We arrived in DC to find out that the connecting flight customs had been closed for the night which meant that we now had a hour and a half to get a wheelchair from one airport terminal to another, through customs and back. Impossible for anyone who ever thinks they can do it. Lucky for us, there were storms in our flight path which had our flight delayed. We didn't know that as we were going through all the stress though. We made it through customs and to our gate in time for a 20 minute snack and then on our plane to Nashville we went.



I was beyond blessed to be landing in Nashville since that is where my oldest sister lives, which meant a 28 hour layover with my family! Of course we would have the issue of the airline losing our luggage on our last flight though and since our stuff was spread throughout my bag and Bekah's small roller, we couldn't have the suitcases sent to both addresses. Luckily, the airline was able to get the luggage to my sister's house by 9am the next day and then we were able to get them to Bekah's aunt that afternoon.


Evelyn once again stayed up through her bedtime to greet me at the airport.
Playing in the backyard with my two favorite girls
My 28 hour layover in America consisted of lots of fun with my nieces, hugs to my parents and family, shopping at target and petco for our puppy Coach. Even though it was only 28 hours, it was some of the best 28 hours I could have asked for. But, as I arrived at the Nashville airport at 5am for my 6:30am flight back across the pond. Little did I know what all would be in store for me at the airport.



As I was checking in the United computer system crashed, meaning that I had to wait an extra 10 minutes for them to get it back up and running and then resubmit all my info. Then I rounded the corner for TSA and I've never seen anything like it at such a small airport as Nashville. It was 5:20 and I had 45 minutes until my boarding began and a very long line to work my way through. At every turn in the line, I would explain my situation to the person in the next turns line to see if they would let me skip them and every response was a rude NO. Enter culture shock, I was in a very ME focussed culture now who didn't see the need to show love and grace to someone in need. Much different than where I live I thought and so on came the tears and hate of America. Please don't get me wrong, I do love America just like I love where I live now but in that moment, I hated every American in that line and America.

I finally got through TSA at 6:25 and had 5 minutes until take off time. I didn't even bother with putting on my shoes, I just grabbed them and ran. I made it to my gate at 6:29 and to my dismay, no plane. The plane was overbooked so they gave my seat and 15 other peoples' seats away and took off. More tears. I stood in line with about 80 other people who had missed other flights wishing I was on that plane as far away from this place as possible and yet here I was getting more time with my family. My experience with Americans became better as I stood in that line though and met a couple going to Thailand to do similar work that we do and the love they showed me and care for me as I cried will be forever remembered.

When I finally reached the ticket counter there were no available flights for that day which meant I would be on the same flight routine just a day later. I called my mom and of course got a "I told you we were cutting it too close" talk from my dad but then excitement as they now got one more day with me before goodbyes for at least 1-2 more years. We went back to Kalee and Dillon's house and exhaustion and jet lag hit, I slept off and on pretty much the whole day as I rode in the car to lunch, the American pickers museum thing and the grocery store for steaks. I slept the whole time my family cooked for me, but I had two adorable girls alongside me which made it all worth it. A confused Evelyn and Collins as I said goodbye again that night before they went to bed and a last night of snuggles with Evelyn on the air mattress before back to the airport again the next morning. This time arriving at 4:30 and I was at my gate at 5am, so crazy!

Harrison worked with my airline to get back to our city from the capital city and I was finally back home with Harrison and Coach just 8 days after leaving him and after a crazy journey to America and back.



No comments: