Saturday, August 25, 2012

Seersucker, Bow ties and Cowboy boots

August 4th, 2012 Harrison and I said "I do" at my grandparents home where I spent the majority of my time growing up. My parents were married on the site 32 years ago this past June and the former house burned not long after. They rebuilt in the same location a brick antebellum home and my childhood dream of marrying there came true. 

Planning the wedding was quite interesting as I was in East Asia and depending on my family for all of the house prep and all, which they did an incredible job on and I am so thankful to have had them helping. I did get to fulfill my dream of having my dress made in East Asia too, with the help of my roommates Meg and Kelsey, Meg's mom Mrs. Becky, and some of our Spring Break visitors. I found a store in Beijing and they made it for me and mailed it to my apartment in CQ! 




The day I found it I said it was an outdoor, cowboy boot wearing wedding dress and that it was! Once returning to America, my mom and aunt helped add a few things to it and made it perfect! It was such a fitting wedding dress for me and maybe one day I'll have a daughter who'll want to use some of its lace on her own dress.

Harrison and all of his groomsmen wore blue Seersucker suits which was his request to be a part of the Summer Southern Outdoor wedding style and they were a perfect addition, all of the guys looked great!

Harrison's addition was that he wore a yellow bow tie which went along with the yellow bridesmaid dresses.

The Bridesmaids dresses were Yellow corn dresses from JCrew that honestly my sisters and I just randomly found while looking at other dresses and loved even though we were originally thinking we didn't want strapless dresses. For years I had always dreamed of my wedding day as all young girls do and thought of yellow dresses but when the time came I hadn't even looked at yellow until I saw these.
They looked so good with the suits and against the brick house and my sister Mallory did an INCREDIBLE job (as she always does) on the flowers! I gave her mostly freedom to surprise me and they were beyond anything I had even imagined! I loved them!

Now as you can imagine an outdoor wedding in the beginning of August is always hot and that was something we prepared for the best we could as I designed my wedding program to be on a fan and as my mom came up with the great idea of having drinks served at the wedding ceremony for guests which I think was a hit.
The ceremony was lovely and just what Harrison and I imagined, short too as Harrison timed it to be 24 minutes on his watch....

We also were "old fashioned" as some people might say now a days in that we did not see each other before the wedding which made for fun pictures on either side of doors and for a fun ride on the golf cart through the back of the house and around where people couldn't see me.... It was loads of fun!
After the wedding came photos of us two and with the whole wedding party and family while the guests headed to the Country Club for the reception.

This picture is by far our favorite that we've seen so far!

Then we were headed in and to the dance floor as the band announced the wedding party and then....
Mr. and Mrs. Harrison Smith!
Our first dance was to "History in the Making" by Darius Rucker
I have a HUGE LOVE for cheesecake and so I knew right away in the planning process that I wanted cheesecake as my wedding cake with a topping bar and that we did! 




Mrs. Patt Labbe helped by making a wedding cake for us to cut that was also cheesecake layered with vanilla cake and it was also incredible!

We then danced the night away with our Mo-town band "Heart to Heart" and had a blast!
When it came time for the singing of Shades with all of my Chi Omega sisters, tossing of the bouquet and the garter, Harrison surprised me and washed my feet. It was so sweet!


We then left the reception to dried flower petals, poppers and such... 
Our one chinese addition that I insisted on having was Chinese wish paper lanterns to be lit and released. There was a lighting malfunction as the lighter wasn't cooperating and so they weren't released until we had already passed but still they were a cool addition that I brought home with me.
We rode off in a wagon/golf cart not sure what to call it but it was cute and fun!

I must give credit to our amazing photographer, Brooke Glassford with Colorbox Photographers! As you can tell she did an amazing job and I can't wait to see more from her soon and share with you all.

No comments: